Saturday, January 22, 2011

I fell in love

My European co-workers and friends always think it is a bit odd when Americans, especially Left Coasters, say they LOVE something because we say it about absolutely everything

I love my Vitamix.  

And, I'm highly sensitive to gluten. I can only go out to eat at a couple restaurants (the term gluten free is widely misused). However,  I'm a foodie.

To get my food on in professional style, I bought a Vitamix.  I was able to save a couple hundred dollars because American Express points are now accepted at Amazon.com.  Neat!  I also got free shipping.

I am a thinkerer, so I opened and played all day.  It was delicious.  I made a great potato leek soup and a simple sweet potato puree that is gorgeous.

Next, I watched Iron Chef Michael Symon's how-to video.  His food is the reason chefs get chicks.  

So, I love food.  I love my Vitamix.

And, I'm trying to love that I'm gluten free in a gluten filled world, one dish at a time.

Here's how I made the sweet potato puree.  I think it would make a great baby food!  There is a 10% correlation between diabetes and Celiac disease, and this dish is great for that because there isn't any need for added sugar.

Sweet Potato Puree

A couple sweet potatoes (or yams)
Garam masala, if you're a sweetie


1. Wash sweet potatoes

2. Bake, skin on, in the oven for about an hour or until a little bit of caramelized sugar appears under the sweet potatoes

3. Let them cool down

4. Peel the skin off

5. Toss them in the Vitamix on 1 then ramp up to 7 or so for 20 seconds-ish

6. Add the garam masala, if you like that sort of flavor

7. Spoon out

8. Bliss out

I thought that this would make an incredible sorbet... So...


3/4 cup sweet potato puree
1 cup rice milk
1/4 tsp gluten free vanilla, if you like (yes, vanilla has gluten usually)
1/4 - 1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp coconut oil, if you like a creamier texture
Lot of ice to the 5 or 6 cup mark for solid ice and to the top for party hole-in-center ice.

Take it for a spin from 1 to high until 4 peaks form, put in the freezer for up to 30 minutes, and serve immediately.

You might take my gluten, but you'll never take my love of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment